Kick-off global Pride season by joining us on the tour!
OUR history no longer denied.
Join the LGBT Institute, Touching Up Our Roots, and Atlanta Pride, on Sunday, June 3rd and Sunday June 17th at 1pm at the Center for Civil and Human Rights as we board the trolley with LGBT friends and allies to explore our LGBT history! This 2 hour tour, narrated by local LGBT historian Dave Hayward, and others, will offer us a glimpse into the past while enjoying an afternoon of fun!
The tour will begin and end at the Center for Civil and Human Rights. Please allow for enough time get to The Center, as we will plan to leave promptly at 1pm during both tour dates: Sunday, June 3 and Sunday, June 17th. Purchase your tickets soon as space is limited!
- Please arrive a little early as we will leave the Center (near the fountains facing Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd.) promptly at 1pm both tour days. The tours are approximately 2 hours and we will return to the Center at the end of the tour. (Midnight Moon, is planning to welcome us to their bar for those who wish to end the tour at that location).
- Parking is available at the World of Coke parking garage ($10 flat rate).
- Tickets are $20 per person, per tour. No refunds will be issued. Tickets help cover the costs of the trolley, (which this year will be air-conditioned) so we do hope you consider donating to support our work (donations are tax deductible).
- If you cannot afford a ticket, please contact 404-991-6985 as we have a limited number of scholarships available.
- If you have any questions about accessibility needs, please call: Atlanta Pride Committee Programs and Partnerships Manager: 404-382-7588 or the LGBT Institute office at 404-991-6985.
- Ticket holders assume all liability, and organizers are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Consider bringing sunscreen and a small hand-held fans as Atlanta in June can get pretty hot.
- The tours will take place rain or shine.
If this generates enough interest, we may do more tours in the future--so please help spread the word and come prepared to have fun and enjoy! We look forward to seeing you!
PURCHASE TICKETS: two weekends, two unique tours
This year, we'll be hosting two tours that will cover different aspects of LGBT history in Atlanta (both begin at the Center and will start promptly at 1pm, so arrive a little early):
Tour 1 - Sunday, June 3, 1pm
Tour 1 will focus on the Little Five Points area and lesbian oriented spaces and events, as well as the Midtown area including some of the first openly gay bars like Mrs. P's on Ponce and sites of assaults like the raid on the Eagle bar on Ponce de Leon.
tour 2 - sunday, june 17, 1pm
Tour 2 will focus on the Ansley Mall area and Cheshire Bridge corridor. The Midtown area (especially 10th and Piedmont) and the Cheshire Bridge-La Vista Road areas are some of the first locations locally to welcome openly LGBT businesses and enterprises. As such, they remain part of the fabric of our story here and of our human and civil rights saga.